- The first person to see it on the news uses the library’s internal communication system to send round a message.
- The person in each library who reads it spreads the message among their colleagues and everyone talks about the loss of a great human and writer.
- Their books are moved to prominent display areas, partly because people are about to come in and ask where they are, but mostly because they deserve to be read.
- Shelf checks start to come in from other libraries as readers request the books. We send them off as quickly as we can as we know the waiting lists will soon become vast.
- We read about their publishing history, so we can think about which to recommend to the readers who come in never having read that author before and asking where they should start.
- We know that this flurry of intense interest is temporary and that saddens us. But this mass-reading of their works seems to us the most perfect act of collective mourning. They will be read; they will be remembered.
Tag Archives: Terry Pratchett
March 18, 2015 · 12:18 pm